Monday, March 2, 2009

Regarding the Citadel..

I just got out of my Cairo architecture class where I learned that what I have been calling the Citadel, is not actually the Citadel. It is the Mosque of Mohamed Ali. This mosque is inside of the Citadel complex, but it is wrong to say that it is the Citadel. The professor said that this is a common mistake that even Egyptians make.

I apologize.

Here is a reel of my mistakes:

This picture was from my post about the Mosque of Ibn Tulun. I believe the caption was something along the lines of "a close up of the Citadel". It actually is a close up of the Citadel, but I was referring to the mosque. What you can see of the Citadel are the walls that are around the mosque:



This is a similar situation. Again, it would be correct to say that I was trying to get a picture with the Citadel in the background, but my intention was to get the mosque in the picture:



This picture was taken from al-Hakim Mosque. I said that you could see the Citadel in the background (to the right). I should have said (if I knew better), that is the Mosque of Mohamed Ali, which is in the Citadel:

1 comment: