Friday, January 23, 2009

En Route

I have been waiting for my flight to Cairo in London Heathrow Airport for a few hours now. The original plan was to do some sort of sightseeing during this layover- the British Airways in-flight magazine suggested I go to Windsor Castle or Legoland. Instead, I will be sitting in Terminal 5 for several more hours. When I first landed in London, I was not sure which line to go through- I wanted the one that would allow me to go to Windsor Castle or Legoland. However, I chose the line that took me directly to my departure gate. I did not realize this until it was too late. Windsor Castle and Legoland will have to wait until I fly through London again on my way back to the States.

Before flying to London, I had a seven-and-a-half hour layover in Boston. The first hour was killed by me getting semi-lost in the airport. It was a Spinal Tap moment- my path took me through numerous hallways, offices, escalators, and stairwells- Hello Boston! I was outside at one point. A bus/subway map caught my attention as I finally found my terminal. I decided to take the bus downtown and wonder around Boston. As I made my way to the Bunker Hill Bridge, this narrow, winding road grabbed my attention:

(This is from Google Maps - it does not do the street justice! It looks much more mystifying in person)

I had this unexplainable desire to walk down it. It took me through a residential area complete with people yelling at each other in thick Boston accents. It was wonderful. I kept walking through this area and I stumbled upon the Old North Church (the one of Paul Revere fame). That was a neat surprise.

I land in Cairo at 11:30ish pm. That means I will have to wait another day to actually be in Cairo. I will get off my plane and go straight to my dorm (assuming I manage to not get lost in the airport). By the time I get their, it is bound to be late. I am sure I will make a great first impression with my roommate as I come busting in to the room at 1am.

Just a few more hours of guarding my precious electric-outlet in the airport and I will be off!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so.... London Souvenir on your way home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lombard St in San Francisco is pretty crazy as well, especially to drive down!

    Maybe you should google map the airport, lol!

    Good luck on the rest of your adventures leading to the arrival of your destination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I handled the Cairo Airport pretty well, it was a big achievement after failing so terribly- twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you be safe in your travels...if time allows, attempt to find some sort of Gate so you may be Lord of it...Post pictures if possible

    ReplyDelete